Fabric Paint on Applique Quilt

I finally finished removing all of the threads from the front of the fall wall quilt. It's so hard to pull brown threads through on dark fabric, they tend to disappear. Once I finally pulled all the thread through, I looked at all that I needed to finish on the applique'.

Then, I had a flashback to the 80's when we used to make sweatshirts with fabric applique on them and we would always seal the applique edges down with the fabric paint. I must have had a whole wardrobe of finished sweatshirts with fabric painted designs on them.

I then remembered that I recently purchased a bottle of the fabric paint in one of my craft magazine. Now, where could it be. Let me tell you, I found it in my 3 drawer I searched so I was very happy. I examined the color and it was called Diamond, it was sparkly. Yeah, I found my bling bling for this quilt. I tested it out and to me it had coppery flecks in the clear glue... I was sold.

For now, the only place I added it was on the highlights from the pumpkin. I've set it aside to dry for the day and will take another photo and look later. But from the early results, I just may adhere the leaves this way. Let me know what you think.... Improvement or Detraction? You'll need to click on the photos to see the better details.

Thanks for stopping by

Fall Quilt - Folded Star Ornament II

Folded Star Ornament Twist

** See more Folded Star Posts and instructions by clicking on the "folded star" label on the right side of this blog ***

I'm still fascinated with the folded star ornament and wanted to try something. I printed out photos of my dogs and my great niece (wow, great niece makes me sound old). Then, I just stated folding and adding the triangles to the photos in a star patterns. I tried two different star patterns on the one ornament

It was tough because you didn't have that starting point in the middle. I definitely want to make the photos smaller next time and try again. However, I thought you might like to see my experiment.

Fall Quilt - Cut Outs Completed

Why do applique's have to be so intricate :-) I can see I'm going to have fun sewing down the leaves of this Amish Pumpkin fall wall hanging. There are so many twists and turns. If anyone has a good suggestion on how to quickly sew down this type of applique, please let me know.

I also completed the pumpkin template cut out and the background piece is set. For the background, I chose a black blender fabric. I think it will contrast nicely with all the fall colors. I also chose the background fabric. It's a brown orange tie die like batik.

Thanks for stopping by

Folded Star Ornament

I was determined to find the pattern for the folded star. It's been pretty tough and I'm pretty good at finding things on the Internet since I work on computers all day long. I'm still looking for a better example of the folded square block for a wall hanging but I did find an example for an ornament. After I could not stop last night until I finished the ornament, I know I'll be able to do the block.

I know black and purple were not the best fabrics to use as an example but since it called for 2.5" squares, I cut up some excess binding I had and re-ironed it since it was already 2.5" wide.

I see lots of ornaments in my future. I'm going to make these for friends for little knick knack gifts for the holidays this year. Let me tell you, it uses A LOT of pins. I want to guesstimate I used about 250+ Here are some photos of the steps along the way.

Fabric Pieces are 2.5" squares folded in half and then sides folded down to form a triangle.

I finished with one side first.

Then the other and the two sides should meet somewhat closely in the middle. Good photo with pins.

It calls for ribbon to be wrapped about the sides to hid the visible pins but I used matching purple fabric. I folded a 2.5" strip in half, right sides together and then sewed a seam. Then I turned it inside out and wrapped it around the ornament and secured with double sided tape.

I added sheer ribbon on the top in a loop to fashion the hanger for the ornament. This has a lot of flexibility here so I'll probably be experimenting with the hangers.

Well for my first try at the folded star, I'm pretty happy with the results. Right now the loop top is pinned, but I'll sew or tape it closed and turn it so the connection is under the loop on the top of the ornament.folded star ornament

There are places I could have been more careful about the distance I placed the next layer and I see a few pins here and there since I did not fold my triangles and press tightly. But, I wish I would have found this sooner, I'll be making these for a while. Let me know what you think :-)

P.s. I see lots of "bling" in their future too! Rhinestones and fabric paint...

Thanks for stopping by


Halloween Wall Hanging Completed!!

I spent the last week taking little steps to finished the Halloween wall hanging before it's too late and Halloween is already here.

On Monday through Thursday, I did a little sewing each night to complete the sew down of the applique. I tried the quilting foot I was sooo raving about a post or two ago, didn't work for this type of work. It was hard for me to see the applique edge through the foot. So, I return to the zig zag foot. Since there are so many twists and turns on this quilt, I decided to get as close to the edge as I could. Tough job but I got through it. It's not the prettiest, but, hopefully it won't be inspected so closely. I alternated through straight stitch and zig zag and I even returned to the clear thread to sew down the moon. I am so happy with the turn out. Here are some of the steps along the way.

Binding Added
Finished binding and back quilting view

Completely Finished Halloween Wall Hanging

Thanks for stopping by