First Quilt Top Completed

I finished the first charity quilt for the breast cancer campaign in October.  Everything went well for the quilt until it was completely done.  One of the corners is a smidgen off. By smidgen, it's more like almost a 1/4 inch.  Driving me crazy.  But, most of the other blocks in the row match up so I'm not too sure how I would go about fixing this unless I add more to one column of blocks to push the white strip to the left a little to line up.  Or, I can reduce the size of the white strip a smidgen maybe. 

I forgot how difficult it was to add a strip and then continue to line up the blocks on either side of that strip.  If you have any suggestions, please let me know.  Here's the problem corner and then the full quilt top.  I'm also a little disappointed with the white fabric.  It's a little see through.  I'm concerned that when I put the yellowish natural batting behind it, the quilt top will lose it's crisp white strips.

2012 Quilt Top - Needs a little ironing.
This week, time to figure out the layout for the second quilt top and get moving on that.  Then, we are in the waiting game again for some tests completed on Friday for DH.   After 2.5 years of remission, it's still a roller coaster ride.  Keep your fingers crossed the bone marrow test comes back just "naturally" low.

Thanks for stopping by!  

Making Progess on First Charity Quilt

I'm on my way with assembling the first Charity Quilt for the Ford Cares Breast Cancer Quilt.  It's just what I needed to keep my mind occupied instead of stressing over other things that you can not control.  Each year I make these, it humbles me and makes me realize although we have had our share of issue these past 3 years, we are still so blessed.

I was only going to do a couple of rows, I was curious to see how the white would turn out with the blocks.  Here's my answer.  I like it however I'm not to happy with the white fabric purchased.  It's a little see through.  So, when I put the cream warm and natural underneath it, I think it will dull the crisp white...  I'll have to think on this one..

Then I thought I'd like to work on the center logo part.  I went to put the white around the white embroidered logo provided and decided it needed a dark border before the white is added.  So, I added a 1" pink inner border to match the other appliqued ribbons on the quilt.  Here's the center by itself.

So I kept going from there and now I have the top part, the left and right panels and the center grid all completed.  Maybe today I'll still add the white strips to the left and right panels and join them with the center grid of blocks to complete the whole middle section.  Of course, I'd then have to add the top to the middle section and heck, I'll be 75% complete with the top.

Here's the left, right, and middle panels handing on my banister (aka quilt rack) as soon as you walk in my home.

Making progress and that makes me happy!!
Thanks for stopping by!  

Uniform Randomness

I try so much to do random layouts but once I take a photo of them, I see the multiple colors not looking random enough for me :-).  There's too many darks together and too many lights together etc...   When I layout the breast cancer quilts, I do them on my floor, take a photo, rearrange and take another photo, and repeat so many times until I'm happy.

Here's what I started out with on my first breast cancer quilt layout.  I digitally added the white strips on the layout.  Of course, my photo of the layout on the floor also creates a distortion on the photo.  The dark wines jump out at me being not random enough for me. 

First Layout

After several episodes of rearranging, I added the dark wines around the center Ford Logo block.  The center block will also have a colored sash around it.  Then, the extra dark wines I added to the outer corner blocks.  Then I tried to alternate the remaining pink shades to create light and darks along with uniformly adding the embroidered blocks I created.  Now it's time to start sewing this one!

Final Layout

Thanks for stopping by!

Embroidery Weekend

It was an embroidery weekend at my house.  I am just about completed with all the extras I like to add to the Breast Cancer quilts.  I love adding embroidered blocks of different sizes and styles.  This year, my favorites are the applique angels.  I used frosted fabrics for the wings.  It added just the right amount of sparkle!  I need about 16 extra (8 for each quilt) plus the ribbon corner blocks which are the basic ribbon applique blocks below such as the top left one.

Thanks for stopping by!