Sunday, February 24, 2013

Hunter's Progress

I continue to work on the foundation pieced Hunter's Star quilt.  As I mentioned in a previous post, my goal is to get two triangle foundations completed per day.  I'm happy with the progress I've made so far.  I've missed a couple of days but not many.  I'm not sure how I'm going to like using the fabric foundations.  They definitely add weight to the block but then again, they seem to help a lot with fabric stretching!  I'm also not sure if I will add all three kits to one quilt.  It is pretty large so far but once I sew all the blocks together, I'm going to lose inches as well.  Time will tell!

Thanks for stopping by!  

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Shopping In My Own Stash

Sometimes when you go on an organization kick, you tend to come across items that you forgot you had.  I found these foundations by the yard foundation packages and was going to place them up for sale on eBay.  I just could not part with them.  They were so neat and they were in my most favorite pattern, the Hunter's Star!

So, I decided I was going to use the items!  Now, what color to make the Hunter's Star quilt.  I wanted to make it Black and Tan and I was lucky enough to find black and tan fabric in my stash! I hope there will be enough. So, here is my next project.  Now, I am taking it slow since I know my work hours have been very long each day.  If I get two blocks completed per day, I will be able to make some progress. 

 Thanks for stopping by!  

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Simple Valentines Mug Rug

When I practice my embroidery applique, I use scrap pieces of fabric with iron on interfacing on them.  In this project, I used a practice piece I did last year when practicing my satin stitch applique on some accuquilt go hearts.  I had one left over that was a basic red medium heart satin stitched in black on a white T-Shirt scrap.  I decided I wanted to use this on my mug rug.  It's number 1 in the image below. 

On #2 I cut the heart out of the T-shirt backing and left a little edge of the white T-Shirt. #3.  I cut fusible web with my accuquilt go hearts as well and ironed the applique to the scrap piece of red fabric.  Make your mug rug whatever size you want.  There are no rules.  I just happened to have a nice size red scrap.  Mine ended up being 7" x 4.5"  #4.  I decided it was pretty plain so I finally used some of my fancy stitches on my sewing machine.  I chose anything heart related and added the words Sweet and Love to the lines as well.  I stitched these to the fabric sandwich with batting and backing.  As you can see, I really messed up with the stitching of the solid center hearts.  On #5, I ripped out 3 hearts and tried again in #6.  Looks OK to me. 

In the last center photo, I added some scrap binding I had.  I always make too much and think, save it, some day I'll use it.  Yeah, I did!  So, if you are looking for a quick project, think maybe a Valentines mug rug and use all those fancy stitches we have on our machines!!

Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Embroidery Funny - Dirty Little Shamrock

I had to share a funny I recently received.  On one of my previous posts, I created a mug rug for St. Patrick's day with an applique I created.  I stored the multiple versions of embroidery file types on MediaFire so that others could download it when they wanted to.  Recently, I received a notice in my email account that one of the files were removed. 

I guess I am distributing a Shameful Dirty little Shamrock Applique file with an .XXX extension.  LOL...   Sorry Compucon/Singer PSW file users.  I won't be able to supply that version anymore...  

Enjoy your weekend and hopefully this weekend, I'll share my Valentines Basic Mug rug with you.

Thanks for stopping by!