Sunday, September 28, 2014

Halloween Tumbler Quilt Top Completed

As soon as I finished the Christmas Present Quilt, I decided I wanted to try and squeeze in a Halloween Quilt.  I order 20 fat quarters off of eBay in a Halloween theme.  When they came, I didn't realize all the brightly colored patterns were more of a children's theme.  I was determined to use them.

I used my AccuQuilt Go and the 6.5 inch tumbler.  I was able to cut 6 of each out of each pattern and I have a lot of scraps left over for a pillow or to place on the back of the quilt.  In one day, I cut out all of the tumbler blocks cut out.  The hardest part was organizing the blocks in a random pattern lol.  I could have done a better job but I got tired of rearranging them.

So, here are two strips started. As I finished up all of the rows sewn together, I figured there was too many bright colors so I decided to add some black and orange rows to break up the many colors.

The it was time to trim up the sides.  I was going to add the orange and black all around the edges but I thought the orange was a little too bright as well.  So, I planned to trim the sides straight and add a basic black border all around.  Here's a photo where the black sides were completed.

It's hard to see the sides since I trimmed the photo so closely.  All that was left to complete was the top and bottom borders and I finished those today!  So now I have a finished Halloween quilt.  I was hoping to have it added to the quilting machine before the end of the month.  But, happily I have a vacation coming up and the ocean is calling me!  So one less week to sew...  stay tuned.

Thanks for stopping by!